- Please download and carefully read the Sublet Information for HUH apartments. It contains HUH subletting conditions, sublet periods, and policies and procedures.
- The minimum sublet period is two weeks.
- Subleases and other similar arrangements are restricted to Harvard affiliates and can only be made with Harvard’s prior consent; all sublet arrangements must be approved in writing in advance by Harvard University Housing.
- Sublet requests are processed in the order they are received. We typically process a sublet application within five business days, however unforeseen delays may occur.
- To expedite the processing of your request, be sure to submit an application and provide all required documentation.
- CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS: There is a Cambridge City ordinance that impacts your ability to sublease your unit for a period of less than 30 days. Please be aware of the following prior to listing your unit on harvardhousingoffcampus.com. Rentals of less than 30 days are prohibited unless the unit is registered (which involves an inspection process and payment of a $500 fee) and you meet specific eligibility standards. Please be aware that new tenants in particular may not be eligible for the City of Cambridge's registration. Learn more by downloading Cambridge's Short Term Rental Guide and Short Term Rental Decision Tree.
Submit a sublet application
- Click here to submit a Sublet Application.
- The final day to submit a sublet application in 2022 is 12/19/2022. All sublet applications submitted after 12/19/2022 will not be reviewed until 1/3/2023 at the earliest.
- Please send an email to email@example.com if you have any questions regarding HUH sublet policies.
- Harvard University students or employees with proof of active affiliation within the University during the sublet period.
- A proposed subtenant who does not have a current Harvard ID must provide their Harvard University acceptance/appointment letter or Harvard Department-issued documentation with the Sublet Application.
- Researchers must provide their Harvard Department letter to ensure eligibility prior to approval. Not all researchers are eligible.
- An HUID Person of Interest affiliation does not meet eligibility (e.g., special borrower, library, temporary access, vendors, and Smithsonian cards).
- If you have questions regarding your eligibility, please check wtih your school or department to have them confirm that your role is that of a Harvard student or employee.
- Students may not sub-lease beyond their graduate date as they are considered alumni and are no longer current affiliates.
- Harvard Summer School students are eligible as long as their affiliation is during the sublet period.
- You cannot sublet to your family members unless they are eligible Harvard affiliates.
- Residents holding an HUH lease or housing contract and their affiliated authorized occupants are not permitted to sublet another HUH apartment/unit during the term of their lease/contract.
- Maximum occupancy guidelines apply.
- All occupants must be approved affiliates, approved direct family members (a spouse/domestic partner, parent, child, or sibling of the subtenant), or other persons approved by Harvard University Housing (HUH—the Landlord), and such persons must be registered with HUH by the filing of a Sublet Authorized Occupant Form.
Details about sublet periods can be found here.
- The only place you may list information regarding your sublet is on harvardhousingoffcampus.com.
- Click here to learn how to post your free listing on harvardhousingoffcampus.com.
- Any Harvard University Housing sublet posted anywhere other than harvardhousingoffcampus.com is considered a violation of the lease/policies.
- No information about an HUH sublet may be posted on any other website.
- Violations are grounds for eviction.
Picking up Keys/Fobs/Swipe Access Card/etc.
Subtenants may pick up these items during office hours at the appropriate Property Management Office. The Property Management Team at that office will be able to answer your key pick‐up questions. Note that offices are closed for University holidays and weather emergencies.
The date and time when these items can be picked up is based on the date and time of the approval email sent to the tenant(s) by Harvard University Housing. Times are based on eastern time.
|Date and time of HUH approval||Keys available at Property Office|
|Between noon on Friday and noon on Monday||After noon on Tuesday|
|Between noon on Monday and noon on Tuesday||After noon on Wednesday|
|Between noon on Tuesday and noon on Wednesday||After noon on Thursday|
|Between noon on Wednesday and noon on Thursday||
After noon on Friday
|Between noon on Thursday and noon on Friday||After noon on Monday|
- The signature of the primary tenant(s) on the Sublet Application will be deemed sufficient authority to permit Property Management to let the subtenant into the apartment in the event of a lockout.
- Please see Housing Policies and Procedures for Harvard University Housing Tenants for details about fees associated with lockouts and lost keys, etc. These are charged to the primary tenant’s account.
- Subtenants are not allowed to purchase additional keys.
- Tenants and subtenants should familiarize themselves with the Housing Policies and Procedures for Harvard University Housing (http://www.huhousing.harvard.edu/sites/huhousing.harvard.edu/files/documents/Tenant_Policy_Manual.pdf).
- Rental payments remain due and payable by the primary tenant(s) to Harvard University Housing throughout the sublet period. HUH will not assume responsibility for any financial arrangements made between the primary tenant(s) and the subtenant(s).
- HUH residents are not permitted to be subtenants in another HUH apartment during their lease term.
- Subtenants are not permitted to sublease the apartment to another subtenant.
- Sublet periods may not overlap; you cannot sublet more than one HUH apartment at the same time. Maximum occupancy guidelines apply. Refer to
- If you live in a pet-friendly apartment and your subtenant wishes to bring their pet, the pet must meet HUH policy requirements and the Pet Authorization Forms must be signed by the primary tenant(s) and the subtenant(s).
- The primary tenant(s) remain liable for any pet policy violations or damage charges. Refer to Pet Policies at http://www.huhousing.harvard.edu/apply/policies-and-procedures.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the Pet Authorization Form.
- Exceptions to pet or other HUH policies are granted only on the basis of an eligible reasonable accommodation. If your subtenant requires a reasonable accommodation, their eligibility must be verified by appropriate University staff. Please contact the HUH disability housing coordinator at email@example.com for preliminary information.
- The primary tenant(s) and subtenant(s) must exchange current contact information so each can be reached in case an emergency arises.
- Unless the Sublet Application is approved by the Harvard University Housing Leasing Office, the Property Management Office will have no record of the subtenant’s occupancy. Lockout and maintenance requests made by the subtenant(s) will not be responded to. The presence of an unauthorized subtenant in your apartment is a violation of your Harvard lease and may result in eviction proceedings.
- HUH does not inspect or clean your apartment after your subtenant has vacated.
Primary tenant(s) responsibilities:
- Show your apartment to prospective subtenants. HUH will not issue viewing passes for this purpose.
- Provide a copy of the lease and all related documents to the subtenant(s).
- Deliver copies of any Landlord notices to the subtenant(s), including alerting the subtenant(s) to any construction or projects occurring during the sublet period.
- Inform the subtenant(s) that at times Landlord will enter the premises to perform maintenance and, in some cases, notice of entry may go only to the primary tenant.
- Be sure to share Internet access information and all applicable policy information with your subtenant
- If the subtenant(s) receives any Landlord notices directly, the subtenant(s) is responsible for delivering copies of the notices to the primary tenant(s).
- The subtenant(s) must comply with all terms outlined in the primary Harvard lease and Tenant Policies and Procedures, which can be found online at
- Either the tenant or subtenant must return keys/fobs and swipe access cards, if applicable, to the Property Management Office within five days of the end of the sublet period or the tenant may be charged a $25 fee per item.
Airbnb and other transient subletting/Short term rentals are not allowed
- This includes “lending” your unit during graduation or over term breaks, and all similar arrangements via sites such as Sublet.com, Roamer, Facebook, Craigslist, etc.
- Receipt of compensation for occupancy of your unit and/or allowing use of your unit via short-term rental website listings is specifically prohibited.
- Use of your unit is limited to you, authorized occupants, and HUH-approved subletters. Use by anyone else is a violation of HUH policies and is grounds for eviction.
- CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS: There is a new Cambridge City ordinance that impacts your ability to sublease your unit for a period of less than 30 days. Please be aware of the following prior to listing your unit on harvardhousingoffcampus.com.
Rentals of less than 30 days are prohibited unless the unit is registered (which involves an inspection process and payment of a $500 fee) and you meet specific eligibility standards. Please be aware that new tenants in particular may not be eligible for the City of Cambridge's registration. Learn more by downloading Cambridge's Short Term Rental Guide and Short Term Rental Decision Tree.
Safety and Security
- Safety and security is a responsibility shared by all of our residents.
- Those who live in the building have the right to assume that other occupants are affiliates, family members, or guests known to members of our community as specifically authorized in your lease/contract.
- As such, all residents must adhere to the subletting policies -- violations are grounds for eviction.
How to Search for a Sublet
- Visit harvardhousingoffcampus.com.
- Click the "Housing" tab.
- Click "HUH Sublet" and any other applicable filters.
- Contact the person who listed the sublet.